Thursday, August 18, 2011

Norwegian Adventure (Sequel to Norwegian Drama)

Okay so as you read it in "Norwegian Drama part 1 & 2", there was a lot of drama during the first two days of my stay in Norway as I had taken 3 flights to get there, was on jet lag and experienced some crazy drunk-clubbing. I am pleased to assure you that everything was perfectly normal and fine after that obnoxious night out of July 2nd! On July 3rd, Nizza and I woke up at 3pm, had breakfast and reconciliated as we explained to each other what had happened the night before. We agreed that we had both abused of alcohol, were tired and that we just drifted apart when the hookers took charge of her and pulled me aside, alone with Tora the rapist.

We then decided to have a nice day and forget about all that drama by heading to the beach in Ogna, which is a small town south of Bryne where my friend lives, in the province of Rogaland. That's how we embarked ourselves on the train leading south and hopped off at Ogna station. I thought the beach would be next to the station but we had to walk through a few fields inhabited by cows and sheeps which offered an incredibly cute spectacle. It was nice to walk through this area as the grass was super green and the panorama was filled with huge stones here and there, along with a few trees and several cows and sheeps. It really did look like a typical Scandinavian postcard. Nizza and I had a lot of fun teasing the sheeps and taking photos of them! We then reached the beach which was a bit rocky but that's when I got to learn that there was a much nicer beach just over the river which separated the two.

We both agreed to cross the river bringing all of our belongings with us which involved carrying our bags, shoes and clothes over our heads while walking in the river which was deep enough to cover up our ribs! Even though the outside temperature wasn't too hot (18 degrees or such), the river was not too cold either and offered a quite refreshing swim. Over the river was a picturesque setting; dark sand, big waves and grey horizon which truly made the Norwegian Sea appear even darker and icier than you would ever imagine! I kind of liked it but when I dared to dip my toes into it, I realized it was way colder than the river we had just swum in. The sea must have been no warmer than 8 degrees lol! I had previously told Nizza that I was used to swim in cold water as the lakes and rivers in Quebec are cold and that the Atlantic Ocean in the nearby US states are cold as well but that was colder than I would have imagined. I guess it was like swimming in Maine in October lol!

The following day we had the brilliant idea to go hike around Lysefjorden to reach the peak of Preikestolen. Going to the area below Preikestolen was a little longer than I would've thought; we had to take a train to Stavanger, hop in a boat and then take a bus. I have to say that it was actually really nice to see new places around Stavanger and to ride a boat. OMG I also need to mention that I saw the man of my dreams on the boat but didn't dare to talk to him so I'll never see him again, too bad! Anyways, after we hopped off the bus, we hurried to climb the 500 meters or so that separate the bottom part of the cliff and the tip of Preikestolen. It took something like three hours and a half to reach the top and it was no easy hike; the pathway is rugged and replete with freshwater cascades, huge rocks, Asian tourists, children, obese people and even marsh lands lol! Nizza had come there a few weeks earlier so she remembered pretty well the way to get there and how long it would take.

Upon reaching the top, I was more excited than any 5 year-olds around but was also beginning to be frightened by the 604m downfall to the fjord below!!! The fact that there's no fence or gateway forbidding you to jump from the rock made me think of all kinds of plausible suicides that might have occured there! At first, I didn't dare to approach the end of the rock near the vacuum but as we both started to tease and play around more and more, I became brave enough to get closer to it! We took many many photos of us fooling around on the rock and at the tip and also one of us "meditating" on top lol! We had a succulent lunch -thanks to Nizza ;-)- which consisted of low-carb bread, fresh fish, caviar and cheese. We had to hurry the fuck up to get down though because the last bus would pass an hour and a half after we were done kidding at the tip. We got down the whole cliff quicker than an hour and a half and caught the last bus! We more than happy!

That last night in Norge (Norway), we came back home at around midnight and the sun was still shining and then had dinner. I had to repack everything in my luggage and Nizza had to pack her luggage starting from scratch. I had three hours of sleep that night and I think Nizza didn't get any as we had to wake up at six to leave her appartment, take a bus ride to the airport and leave for Stockholm! I'll tell you what happened in Stockholm in the next article!


From the ferry to Lysefjorden

At the bottom of Preikestolen

Indeed, it is 604m high!!!!

My crazy self at the tip of Preikestolen! Thank God it was foggy that day
otherwise I would've never dared to do that!!!

Expedia Travel Box

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...