Monday, September 26, 2011

Cultural Sundays

I've been to several cultural events in the last two weeks and I'm really proud of myself! I mean that's something I always like to do and keep on telling myself to do more often but with school and work, I tend not to have time nor energy to get out of my south shore house and do something on my free days. My free days consist in fact of one day in the week, that is sunday. Like in the Medieval time, sundays are sacred for me as I don't work nor have to attend any class. I am therefore available for any of my friends and can therefore bethink myself, enjoy life, let go of my everyday stress, head to the gym, sleep late and attend cultural events!!!

Just last week, I went to the Botanical Garden of Montreal (jardin botanique) and got to see the "lanternes chinoises" exhibit around the Asian section of the garden. I went there accompanied by Merry, Jizz and Laura at night. The spectacle was truthfully magical and it felt like we had been teleported into a fairytale. There were Chinese lanterns scattered around the main pond of the Asian section of the garden and they were pretty motley as there were regular small lanterns that weren't too far in style from regular Western lanterns but there were also some really impressive and massive lanterns that were basically Chinese warriors, plants, trees, carriages and buildings. Unfortunately, I had forgotten my camera! I couldn't pull an Asian tourist out of myself but did find a few beautiful photographs of these images on the web which I'll post down from here. The lanterns had required a necessary six months of  creation to make them as good-looking as they were and had been hand-crafted by Shanghai artists.

We had purchased a bundle deal and had free access to the Insectarium (like an Aquarium but for insects lol) as well so we paid a visit our insect friends who were trapped in boxes (thank God)! What litteraly scared the shit out of me was when we got to see a friggin' Goliath Birdeater Tarantula; these tarantulas are the world's biggest in terms of both size and weight...! I'm not kidding y'all when I say they can measure up to 60cm of width and weigh almost one pound!!! I'm not scared of lizards, snakes, crocodiles, sharks or scorpions but I get frightened shitless when I see tarantulas. I don't know why they're so scary. Perhaps it's because they're really ugly and disgusting and look like they're gonna jump in yo face and eat you! I know they could never eat us but they look aggressive and mean lol! Jizz seemed even more scared than me which I'm glad of as I would pass for a pussy if there hadn't been someone more scared than me with us lol! I hadn't been to the Insectarium in ages but realized I had been missing on a lot of stuff as it's really entertaining and captivating to know some facts about insects. Some of them are incredibly colorful and beautiful while some others are quite smart at building nests such as termites.
 
 
Laura and I hadn't really spent much time together before that evening but got along fairly well. I like her and still don't understand why Mahmud -remember him?!- doesn't want to admit to her that he's gay. To make a long story short, they're both Lebanese and their families know each other. That being said, Mahmud doesn'want everybody in his family and other Baklavas he knows to get to learn about his homosexuality. I guess he's not going to befriend this gang anymore. I also got to learn he moved out of his parents' and now lives with a friend. I couldn't care less as the dude seems paranoid and crazy. I guess I was out of my mind when I thought of him as a potential date!

Anyways, back to my cultural sundays, I decided that from now on I would always do an interesting and enriching activity on sundays so that I get to learn stuff, enjoy the city of Montreal (in another way than just taking the subway, being harassed by homeless people and going to school), gather with friends and take it easy. Sundays are sacred, Amen on that!


The fucking disgusting Goliath Birdeater Tarantula






Expedia Travel Box

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...