Sunday, September 25, 2011

Snus or My New Love Affair

For those of you who don't know what snus is, well it's actually the Swedish version of snuff. It basically is tobacco "powder" if we can call stuffed into a little pouch similar to a tea bag. The way to consume it is to place it below your upper lip and that's how you will get the nicotine from it. The nicotine is then transferred into your blood stream via the blood vessels in your gums. I know it sounds nasty but it's kind of fun actually. My Norwegian friend Nizza is the one who introduced me to Snus. I don't think she would be super happy to read that but hey, that's the truth and she might eventually fall on this article and read it lol!

I'm actually pretty glad she introduced me to snus as it relaxes me a lot after work. I try to take one pouch a week and not exceed that since it's not really good for your health but at the same time, I don't think a bag a week is gonna kill me! When I was en route to Norway last July, Nizza had asked me if I could stop at the Duty Free in Oslo and buy her some snus. At first, I didn't even know what snus was so I had to google it lol! When I saw what it consisted of I was completely grossed out and never thought I'd dare to try! It seemed so disgusting to me to put real tobacco on your gums! Nizza and I traveled together from Norway to Sweden and then to London without me ever trying snus.

When we reunited in Lisbon, Portugal in August, I was so tempted to try it one night that I sticked a pouch of Stark portion of Skruf under my upper lip and waited until I could feel a thing. The heck was it was a 3 on 4 in terms of strength and trust me, that lil'm pouch got me pretty high! I even went on to take two in that same evening and Nizza warned me to take it out as soon as I'd feel dizzy otherwise I might throw up. I felt okay until I took the second one. I have to mention that I had drunk a bit between the two so it might not have helped but I ended up so wasted that I almost crawled back to my dorm and was rolling on the floor at the foot of Terrine's bed! She kept on asking me if I was okay and I would just utter weird sounds as I was almost unconscious!

On our last day in Portugal, I asked Nizza if she could lend me a can of Skruf and she was like it's okay as she knew I would probably not take it all and share with friends back home in Canada. What she didn't know is I actually like snus a lot more than expected and after I finished my can of Skruf Stark Portion, I went online to try to find websites where I could order snus online and have it shipped to my house in Canada. Initially I thought it was illegal but it turned out to be legal as I received a can of eucalyptus-flavoured snus by a Swedish brand called Catch. Nizza wasn't so proud when she got to learn that but she was like hey, I can't forbid you to take snus especially if you're in Canada and I'm in Norway!

The website I used is called http://northerner.com and is pretty user-friendly. So for those of you who don't live in Scandinavia and that like snus or have never tried and would be willing to, you can order online on this website. Snus is very trendy in Scandinavia and everybody takes some when they go out clubbing. If you want a "physical" pick-up line for hot Scandinavians -whether girls or boys- you can just pop your snus can open and wink at them ;-)!!! I'm not done with my can of Eucalyptus yet but would recommend it a thousand times more than the regular strong Skruf as it makes you dizzy after 5 minutes, burns in your mouth and doesn't taste good. Eucalyptus is a much better choice. Guess what I'll order next time: Skruf TRANBÄR! Of course I gotta try me some tranbär ;-)!

BTW: Terrine and I tried to find some snus in the US (we went to Plattsburgh, NY) and all we found was a can filled with tobacco powder but none with tobacco in pouches like Swedish snus so for my Quebec fellows, don't bother crossing the border just to get snus; order it online and you'll have a much wider array of variety and choice. AMEN.
Catch brand, the green cans are Eucalyptus-flavoured

Swedish Skruf brand

A Swedish mama stuffing her upper lip with a snus pouch

Skruf Tranbär! The Cranberry God

Expedia Travel Box

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...