Saturday, June 11, 2011

Advertising Campaign part 1

Willing to work my ass and complete two summer courses before leaving on vacation, I had decided to take an advertising course (part of my Marketing major) and to re-do my financial accounting class because I had a D- (lol!). I really do not enjoy accounting that much and wouldn't do any class of it if I weren't obligated to but unfortunately, two accounting classes are mandatory and part of the core courses' list of my Bachelor's degree!

And so the summer semester started off pretty good (I was highly motivated) and thought everything would be going on just fine, that I'd catch up on my lateness and leave for Europe happily right after. Little did I know that my Advertising Professor (Harold Simpkins, whom I like to call Harold Shitstinks), was a scumbag who brags about anything and doesn't follow the course outline. I was incredibly saddened and discouraged when I figured out each class would be painful and imply that I would have to sit for two hours and half listening to his nonsense without having a break!!! You read correctly, Mr. Shitstinks said he'd like to finish class earlier because he had one after and then decided to finish ten minutes earlier but not to allocate any pause. OMG how boring his classes were!!

Not only was he only reminiscing his life and experiences (which sucked so badly), he wouldn't show any important slide of his Powerpoint, prefering to go on and on with disconcerted speeches. Three weeks ago, I had a colonoscopy and had to empty my stomach and colon (yummy) but I had a class with him on the day before and since I knew there would be no break and that it would be boring and that my stomach would be growling like a hungy tiger, I resolved to stay home.

He would not allow anyone to come late nor to use his cell phone or computer in class. I mean we're all older than 20 for Christ's sake! Plus it's University; stop being an attention whore and give a class instead of trying desperately to get everybody's attention. Anyways, we had a Midterm exam which seemed super easy especially since he gave the questions in advance and let us prepare for it. I had read the whole manual, attended every class and studied and I failed big time! I was infuriated and so pissed, I couldn't believe it! 

Not only did he corrected more than 80 exams in less than 48 hours, he didn't give us a correction guideline or a handout explaining how he graded us. Therefore, in the left margins, he attributed random numbers to each of my answer like 0, 2, 3, 10, 5. The bastard had taken off more than half the points for each question, leaving me with a glorious final mark of 34%. Sorry but I never, ever, ever ever ever had tha grade in my whole fucking life!!! I really couldn't believe it! 34% is the kinda grade you get when you
1) didn't read the course outline,
2) didn't read the book,
3) didn't attend class,
4) didn't study and
5) didn't answer all the questions.

Given the fact that these five perequisites have been met, I cannot even deem how this kind of calculation could have taken place.

Anyways, let's get too far from the subject, I'll explain you briefly what happened: I was too mad and fed up of these kinds of teachers that I dropped the class (so I didn't fail) but continued to help my team with which I was supposed to work on the group project. Our subject was so interesting and the team was so nice and dynamic that I felt too stupid to drop them and would have also felt really inconsiderate if I had done so.

The goal of our report was to build an advertising campaign for Mitsubishi Motors with the objective to increase sales by 1,500 units. At first, we didn't really know how to seize the project nor didn't know what to do whatsoever lol. We (I) had the idea to use Godzilla in our ad to sell the vehicle to customers. That would've had implied we would've targeted Asian customers in Canada. It seemed so complicated and boring that we rejected the idea and decided to start our project by choosing a target market and then designing an ad for them instead of doing the opposite. One of our group member, Juliya, a sweet Sri Lankan girl, said she thought it could be cool to target gay men. Obviously and unsurprisingly, I agreed at 100% and was even more than willing to build the whole project around that theme (gayness lol).

We then chose our sample and researched about that target market, how to reach them, where do they live, what is their income, which age group would we take, which media would we use, which strategy would we implement, which marketing goals would we forecast, which percentage of the projected market would be aware of the campaign, be interested by the ad or the car model, have the desire to buy it and finally, how many would buy it. We thought (and still do) that our project was the bomb, that it was original and that it seemed relevant since we truly researched about the gay community and about to reach them, what are their trends and also tried to find statistics regarding other data. Despite all of our efforts, Mr. Shitstinks gave us the "well-deserved" (according to him probably) grade of 50%.

Since I wasn't doing the course anymore but was still working on the project, I didn't mind about the grade since it wouldn't affect my scholar performance but I was still disappointed and sad for the girls because they needed good grades and also deserved them.


Expedia Travel Box

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...