Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Model Wannabe

Today, I did the unthinkable - just like what Alicia Keys made allusion of in her song-, I applied to become a model to more than ten modeling agencies in Montreal and Toronto.

You read correctly, me, Rodzilla, have had this cheesy dream of becoming a male model since the last three years. It all started back when I went to Cayo Santa Mariah with my parents and my brother when I was 17 years old, right after graduating from High School. We were at Mariah’s Cayo for two weeks and even though the place is truthfully paradisiacal, it was getting tiresome after ten days. Of course, the fact that my brother and I had to share the same room and that he was doing anything in his power to make my vacation a complete nightmare didn’t help either.

And so my daily routine during that fortnight consisted of tanning and swimming my way in the ocean, getting sunburns, eating not-so-fresh Cuban food and watching America’s Next Top Model. Here you go girl, blame it all on Tyra! She’s the one having hired Janice Dickinson to co-judge on ANTM and the one responsible for my addiction to Fashion and models! Fifteen cycles later, the show isn’t that captivating anymore but trust me, I was watching it for the first time and it seemed so glamorous and intriguing to me! Especially since everything on the show was overwhelming (from the judges to the models, the photo shoot to the runway) and that I was stuck in a country completely enclosed on its own.

Following ANTM gave me a good hint of what modeling meant and also, what kind of harsh reality the world of Fashion exposed its workforce to. First of all, I never knew before that time that all the female models had to measure more than 5’9” and that some of them reached 6’2”!!! I mean that’s friggin’ tall for a woman! I am 6’1 and half and always thought I was a giant until I realized that a lot of other men are as tall or even taller, that male models are all that height and that Basketball players are all over 6’5” lol!

Having had acne problems during my adolescence, I never considered doing anything about my physique because I felt ugly and funny-looking. Now that I have seen so many dermatologists, that they’ve prescribed me all these creams and stuff, my skin looks a thousand times better and I’m so thankful that it’s partly over. Even though I have been fascinated by all these successful male models and admired them up until last year, I had stopped daydreaming about becoming a model.

Just last week, my Lebanese friend Mira whom I met in my Spanish class last semester voiced to me her interest in Fashion and her wish to apply as a model. She requested my help to take amateur shots of her that she could send to modeling agencies in her applications and also to take her measurements since she didn’t really know what they implied when talking about those so-called dimensions. Before I joined her yesterday, I called her and told her I was on my way to her place and then she said that she thought I should consider applying too. I felt incredibly flattered but yet utterly startled since I never thought she’d tell me that. As she said, she thought that my physique was fit for Fashion whereas I’m “tall and skinny”.

I still have doubts regarding my potential to become a model but gave it a shot; this morning, just before picking up my friend Billa at YUL, I sent in 10 applications to modeling agencies in Montreal and Toronto. As the real sloth that I am, I do not want to go to casting calls and be ridiculed in front of sizzling hot jocks that’s why I concluded that the best way for me to apply is online. That way, whether I’m taken or rejected, I won’t have to move my fat ass to go to these agencies (especially the ones in Toronto as it’s six hours away from here) and will have an instant response.

I’m being realistic with it and do not expect to become a successful model collecting 45 Million dollars a year (like Gisele Bündchen) and intend to do it for fun and as a celebration of my youth. By doing this, I would have souvenirs and proofs of my sexiness for when I’ll be old and pleated and that nobody will believe I once was young and fresh!!!

Male models waiting in line at Casting Calls
-how stressful it must be!
Imagine you wait in line for hours at a casting calls (trying to compete with the
hot guys) and you get rejected! I'd feel like shit! That's why I don't wanna go
to Casting Calls!

Expedia Travel Box

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...