Saturday, May 7, 2011

Favourite LGBT Artist: Michael Breyette

I know this artist since a while now (more than two years) but have never talked about him on my blogs before.

First off, lemme introduce him as a Gay-drawing genious! I'm a big fan so Michael if you ever read this, take note of my love and devotion; I'd love to meet you!!!

When I was younger, I used to draw everyday and pretty much everybody around me agreed that I had talent but as time passed, I neglected drawing more and more and almost quit drawing. At High School, I would draw or paint in my Art classes but I felt like I didn't have the same talent and refinement in my drawing skills. That led me to continue to draw part time here and there. I would mostly draw Fashion stuff, nude males or females, buildings and landscapes. I'm actually a lot better at portraits and buildings but I sometimes want to challenge myself with something new.

I can't recall how I've got to know Michael Breyette (probably through a gay website or blog) but remember for sure that I've been a fan from day 1. When you will take a look at his masterpieces, make sure to observe each detail, shadow and elements that fill the scene depicted in his Art. Some of his pieces are more sophisticated or elaborate than others but still, I truly admire the fact that Breyette likes to challenge himself (like me :-P) and enjoys trying new stuff. I guess that's what makes him -among others- a very interesting and truthfully inspiring artist.

His ardor and great enthusiasm for male nudity and thus, the male body, makes him stand out as an Out'n proud brotha who made his way from doing little commissions for cheap wages to becoming a celebrated contemporary LGBT drawer who earns a living through his Art. I also adore his raunchiest work as much as I can appreciate his more discrete or subtle attempts.

Some of the themes that Breyette explores and approaches are sometimes very profound such as the feeling of guilt many men experience when dealing with their sexuality. He also addressed other sad issues such as: bullying, homosexuality prohibition, gay rights, "don't ask, don't tell" American military policy, secrecy of gay sex or sexual orientation, sex in sports, gay suicides, sex in public, comming out, etc. He also portrayed some very positive visions of happy gay couple, favourable conditions for gay emancipation, sexy jocks, gay celebrities and all sorts of cheesy clichés gay men might have regarding how life should be lived or any other "gay type thing" such as rainbows or butterflies lol.  

Up to date, his collection consists of more than 180 artworks that can be viewed on his interactive and official website at: http://breyette.com/.

His website includes a news section for any upcoming event, promotion, contest or exhibition where he'll take place, info about him and his background as an artist, a commission section where he elaborates on how he proceeds to take commissions and requests from willing clients, an ecards tab, FAQ, links, contact, a subscription to his website and a gallery that encompasses the shop division of his site. I would highly recommand you check all artworks out and see if there is one that you particularly affectionate.

If you want to purchase any of his work, you might want to consider different options of print: Gallery print, Studio print, Portfolio print or you may want to buy the Original which usually costs in the thousands of dollars. Breyette also publishes his work under the form of magnets and calendars with the latter being bought annually by myself, Rodzilla lol! 

I know that Michael usually exposes his Art at Provincetown, MA each summer at the Lyman-Eyer Gallery. As you might have read, I went to Provincetown last summer but unfortunately, Breyette's exposition was over and I missed it. I might go back this summer (for more) so maybe I can attend it. Anyways, for those of you who know appositely that you'll be visiting "P-Town" this summer, you might want to drop by his exposition. His exhibit will take place between August 19th and 31st. Don't miss it!!!

--> I wanted to post a Top 5 of my favourite artwork but it's seemingly impossible for me to choose which ones to pick since they're all so beautiful and spellbinding! I then resolved to simply post most of the ones I like in random order. I posted 25 pics, I guess it should give you a fairly good preview of his work! 
Enjoy!


Ace
Beach Boys

Best Parts

Breakfast in Bed

Coasting

Come Monday
Dashing


Dirty Laundry
La Dolce Vita

Dunes
Early To Rise


Elsewhere
Guilty

Herring Cove

Jocks
Oopsy Daisy
Lying in Wait
My Morning Sun
Pillow Fight

Snow White

The Baths

The Bridge
Then Morning Comes

The Steps

Warmest Wishes
Love & War

For those of you who'll be in P-Town in August,
make sure to stop by the Lyman-Eyer Gallery!


Expedia Travel Box

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...