Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Black History Month

I just learned today that February is the "Black History Month". I mean I knew there was a month entitled to commemorate Black History but I didn't know it was February lol. That's exciting! I'm sure black people accross the U.S. and Canada are very glad to have that month dedicated to their ancestry and history. I think they deserve it after all. I'm not really sure about what I should do in order to celebrate that aside from telling each black person I know or befriend that I love him or her for being black!

First off, I'll start by telling that to myself since as everbody knows, I might look white but I'm all black deep inside! Just think about it for a second, what would be the American culture without black people? Not that much right? The blacks have brought the best music there is and their culture and mores have enriched the nation as being the "Eldorado" country. I think blacks are definitely part or subsequently are the American dream; they've all come from such a long way to where they are now.

The election of Barack Obama as a president engraved a major step forward democracy, freedom and respect for minorities. What's really ironic about the "racial profile" and "racial minorities" issue in the United States is that in some counties, blacks represent the majority of the habitants and this, from the West coast to the East Coast. That implies that they're not genuine "minorities" and in fact, they're heavily consist of the American workforce and people. African-American people are also highly involved in the Military forces and serve their country. Coercively, they should not be labelled as "African-American" as they're real Americans; they were born and raised in America from American-born parents whose parents were also born and raised in the USA and who all speak English as their first language.

Anyways, I'm writing this down to tell you that I just love black people! Whether they're from the African continent, from South America, Central America or the U.S., I think they're all mighty fine. This is a good occasion for me to tell you that I went out with this Cameroonian dude last week. His name was Billa and he was über-entertaining. His journey was very intriguing as he was born in Cameroon, moved to Orlando, FL when he was a teenager and then moved to Sweden to study in Environmental Sustainability in Stockholm and now resides in Copenhagen, Denmark where he works for Maersk and is doing a certificate in Danish Litterature. He was a brilliant brotha with a good sense of humour and a nice "pâté". Oh and I want to point out the fact that he spoke 6 languages : Cameroon's Pigdin, French, English, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian.

Of course, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish are very similar languages but still, I'm speechless in front of such linguistic knowledge! I wish I could master my English and German more, learn Dutch and Spanish in order to be fluent and take Swedish and Portuguese classes. Actually, Chinese (Cantonese) and Arabic seem cool to. I love learning new languages, it's a child's play for me.

--> Nota Bene: Don't you forget to tell all of your black friends and acquaintances that you love them this month!!! Or else Rodzilla will come and destroy your town!

Expedia Travel Box

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...