Saturday, March 12, 2011

Bromance

Interestingly enough, I have had the opportunity to find out about a new "relationship trend" while blogging about my last "song of the week" article. That is: Bromance. The word is a portemanteau of the words bro (brother) and romance.

If I understood correctly, bromance would be a "close but non-sexual relationship between two (or more) men, a form of homosocial intimacy". In other words, it would happen when two men are quite close to each other and share similar thoughts and interests and are best buddies. They can engage into physical testimony of affection as hugging and stuff but won't lead to sexual intercourse. Sounds quite cool to me! That's exactly what I need right now: a close male friend, not a boyfriend nor an acquaintance. I'm definitely not in the state of mind to have a boyfriend at the moment and I've come to the point where I think true love has to begin with genuine friendship since it has to imply deep connection and knowledge of one another... How cheesy?! But it's true goddamn it!

Good examples of contemporary bromances would be Brad Pitt and George Clooney, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, Paul Walker and Vin Diesel and Zachary Quinto and Chris Pine. Bromance can exist in three different situations: Straight-straight, Straight-gay, Gay-gay. Bromances occur when two male feel deeply attached to one another, similar to blood brothers; they'd be willing to die for one another. But this doesn't mean they would like to sleep with one another or get into physical intimacy. Examples of Straight-gay bromances would be Kris Allen and Adam Lambert, both from American Idol; the two have become close friends and would relie onto each other during the whole length of the competition. Gay-gay bromances are probably more rare since gays have very high sex drives and always seek to get laid with one another... Did I just write that? Oh that's so bitchy of me but hey, that's true! I'm not sayin' I'd like to sleep with any other gay dude but sometimes, my whore-mones burst and I'm like: brotha please! LOL!

I guess the best example of Gay-gay bromance that I could give you would be my gaysian friend Yun and I; we met last summer during our two-week pre-University entry and became best buds since then. Neither one of us is interested to become a thing with the other; our relationship is strictly platonic and it feels good that way! I mean I can count on him to be there for me, cheer me up and gossip along with me while I know he won't stab me in my back like a lot of other queens and I know he'll understand my feelings since he's gay as well... U know walamine?! I am actually going through the worst semester of my life and Yun is there to support me and I'm very thankful for that! Sometimes you need someone to pat you on the back and tell you that you're able to succeed... sometimes I have doubts about my abilities you know?! I am not sayin' I couldn't enjoy having a bromance with a straight dude; I think it could be possible, the only thing is I am usually reluctant towards straight dudes because I feel like they wouldn't understand my feelings and find me weird. Anyways, enough of that! We all need to cheer up and find some good friends in order to get through the bad times and see the light at the end of the tunnel! Because believe it or not, there is one!

George Clooney & Brad Pitt
best friends for life : Ben Affleck & Matt Damon

Star Trek's Chris Pine & Zachary Quinto

Fast & Furious's Vin Diesel & Paul Walker

Expedia Travel Box

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...